2 cups of mashed ripened mangoes
2/3 cup of sugar
2 1/2 cups of flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup of butter (I used smart balance w/olive oil)
2 tbsp maple syrup (the real kind)
2 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp butter
- Peel the mangoes. I used four very ripe mangoes (when they are yellow/red,,soft to the touch and smell sweet).
- Cut what you can into nice pieces, and save about two cups for mashing.
- Mix sugar, butter and eggs
- Add flour, baking powder, salt
- Mix syrup and vanilla into the batter, and then add the mashed mangoes. Pour the batter into a greased baking pan.
- Put it in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees F
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Take out baking pan and spread the leftover mango pieces over the cake.
- Drizzle brown sugar and butter over the mangoes.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
The final result is a beautiful mango cake that is slightly sweet and a perfect accompaniment to vanilla ice cream.
My Internet is too slow for photo uploads today, but you can see a pictorial from last year HERE.