Several years ago my grandmother made me her own tomato sauce for a Zucchini dish, and I was hooked. Although she made it with canned tomatoes, I make mine with homegrown cherry tomatoes and this homemade cherry tomato sauce still turns out to be delicious.
Making your own tomato sauce is extremely simple, and it actually only takes a few ingredients to make it quite tasty. The fresher your ingredients the fresher the taste.
Homemade Cherry Tomato Sauce:
1 Cup of chopped tomatoes (or 1 can of tomatoes)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
I made my tomato sauce with homegrown cherry tomatoes, and it turned out to be quite tasty.
1) Cut your tomatoes in half
2) Warm up 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
3) Add tomatoes to the pot simmer over medium heat
4) Chop up garlic and basil, add to tomatoes.
5) Add a bit of water (1/4 – 1/2 cup)
6) Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste.
7) Let simmer with closed lid for about 10 minutes
8) Add more water if needed
9) Mash up the tomatoes with a potato masher.
I have found that the combination of garlic and fresh basil is what makes this tomato sauce extra delicious, so I am always very generous with my basil.
You can serve the tomato sauce on pasta dishes, meat balls, zucchini dishes and much much more.
My favorite way to serve the homegrown homemade cherry tomato sauce is on top of Zucchini Latkes.