Today was a perfect fall day in South Florida, and after the boys returned home in the park (while I cleaned at home), it was time for some baking. My two youngest sons were eager to help bake our very special Apple Carrot Cupcakes with Marzetti caramel filling and topping. Whole wheat flour, orange zest and fresh pressed orange juice adds a special touch to these cupcakes, and I personally think they are the best cupcakes I have had in a long time.
Apple Carrot Cupcakes with Caramel Fillings and Topping
- 3 cups of shredded carrots
- 2 apples shredded
- Orange zest from one orange
- Orange juice from one orange
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of Smart Balance Spread (lactose free)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- Caramel sauce (Marzetti Caramel sauce works great)
- Vanilla icing to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, smart balance spread, white sugar, brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla. Mix in flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Carefully stir in shredded carrots and apples.
- Put cupcake paper in cupcake form. Pour 1 spoonful batter in each form, then add 1/2 – 1 teaspoon caramel sauce to the middle of each cupcake. Refrigerate the caramel sauce before adding to keep it from spreading in the cupcake form, before you get to cover it. Cover the caramel sauce and fill up the rest of the cupcake form with batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 – 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then add to a plate and decorate;
- Mix half vanilla frosting and half caramel sauce together with a spoon and decorate.
The whole wheat flour, carrot and apples help make these cupcakes very filling, and one cupcake per person should be enough to satisfy everyone’s appetite. The caramel floats to the bottom of the cupcake and makes for a great-tasting surprise.
You can win FREE Marzetti coupons here.
Disclaimer: I received complimentary Marzetti Caramel Dip for the purpose of writing a review. No monetary compensation was received, and any opinions expressed above are my own.