We had some leftover summer sausage from when my dad was here visiting, and I was trying to figure out what kind of summer sausage recipe I could come up with.
Today I finally decided to give it a try, since I needed to come up with a quick meal for after my sons’ swim class. Their swim class was from 5:30 – 6 PM, which is right at dinner time, so I did not have much time to cook dinner. In the morning I diced the vegetables and the meat, which made it easy to quickly cook the meal after we got home from swim class.
My middle son can be extremely picky, and my oldest son does not like change, so to get them to eat their dinner without complaints, I named this summer sausage recipe: Summer Sausage Swimmer’s Food. It worked, and all three boys were in agreement that they liked it. My oldest son filled up his plate three times, and surprisingly my husband even liked this the Summer Sausage Swimmers Food too.
Summer Sausage Swimmer’s Food Recipe.
8 oz Summer Sausage
8 oz Hotdogs
1/2 – 1 Green Pepper
2 oz Mushrooms
1 Box Whole Grain Pasta
1. Chop veggies and meat.
2. Cook pasta until al dente
3. While the pasta is cooking, cook the hotdogs and summer sausage over medium heat for 5 minutes whilestirring frequently. (No oil is needed)
4. Put the meat in a large serving bowl.
5. Cook the green peppers and mushrooms in the pan previously used for the meat for about 3 minutes. (No oil is needed)
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, and cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
5. Pour the veggies and the al dente pasta in the serving pool, and gently toss all the ingredients together.
This dish can be served as is, or you can add a little mozzarella cheese, alfredo sauce or tomato sauce. You can also serve the dish in pita bread.