Our wonderful mango tree in the backyard is throwing a ripe mango our way once in a while, so it is time to dust off the mango recipes, and today we came up with a very special mango recipe. Today my youngest son and I made mango muffins based on our usual summer fruit cake recipe, as we wanted to make something we could bring on all of our trips to the playground, the beach, the basketball court etc..
We had a couple of ripe bananas to use, and there were two ripe mangoes in our fruit bowl as well.
Mango Muffins Ingredients:
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed – (You can easily use two more bananas if you have them)
- 2 ripe mango, mashed or cut into tiny cubes. (Add and extra mango if you have it for more moist muffins)
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of butter
Mango Muffins Directions:
- Cream the sugar and butter
- Add the eggs one at a time
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients
- Mash the bananas, and dice the mangoes, then stir them in the mixture with a spoon.
- Spray your muffin pans with cooking spray and fill up with the mixture.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Bake on middle or upper oven shelf for best results.
- The mango muffins are done when the top is golden brown, and the sides are letting go of the pan.
- Decorate anyway you would like to….
My kids like to add a little icing to their Mango Muffins, and yes then they end up looking more like Mango Cupcakes. However, the consistency is more like bread than cake, so it is still a Mango Muffin. I used the leftover mango juice in the icing, which gave it a little mango flavor.
Once the mango muffins are cold, you can freeeze any leftover mango muffins in a zip loc bag, and grab the bag before you head out on summer adventure. By the time you he kids are ready for a snack, the mango muffins will have defrosted in the summer heat.
Just as I handed my husband his first mango muffin of the season, a huge red and yellow mango fell down from the tree behind him….having a mango tree in the backyard surely is magical.
What’s your favorite mango recipe?