ALDI has had cheap blueberries for the past couple of weeks, and I have picked up several pints for around $1.29 a piece. This week I also brought home strawberries and watermelon, and somehow the blueberries were not being eaten as fast as usual. This put me on a search for the best blueberry muffins recipe, and I might just have found it.
This blueberry muffin recipe called for a cinnamon crumb topping, but I just could not get past the cinnamon and blueberry combination, so I decided to skip it. Instead I made a simple icing, and it was a success. The best part about these blueberry muffins is the fact that my extremely picky six-year-old son actually loved them, and I usually cannot get him to eat blueberries.
Blueberry Muffins Ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
Blueberry Muffins Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with the rest of the ingredients, and fold in blueberries with a spoon. Fill the muffin cups to the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven until tops are slightly brown.
- Optional icing can be made by mixing powdered sugar and water.
Except for the whole wheat flour, all of the ingredients were from ALDI, which makes it a very frugal recipe. Eggs at $1.29 for a dozen, 1 pint of blueberries for $1.29, flour for $1.78 etc., these prices surely makes home baking affordable. The blueberry muffins are fantastic warm from the oven, but I think they will make a great treat for our morning beach trips as well.
These blueberry muffins taste just like the once at cafes and bakeries, and while the boys loved the icing, it is definitely not necessary. The fresh blueberries were perfect in these muffins, and this blueberry muffin recipe is definitely a keeper.