I wanted to make a special treat for my kids, which I could easily throw in a bag and bring along, whenever we go on adventure. This is when I came up with the idea for these strawberry cookies, which resemble my favorite pastry from growing up. These strawberry cookies are extremely easy to make, and kids and grown ups will dive right in, so make sure there is enough for everyone.
These may remind you of pop tarts, but don’t be fooled, these are in a different league.
For variety, you can basically use any kind of jam.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla or vanilla sugar
- Strawberry jam
- Powdered sugar
- Mix flour and sugar
- Cut butter into small cubes and mix wih the flour/sugar mixture.
- Add the egg
- Roll the dough together and let it rest in the refrigerator for a minimum of one hour
- Divide the dough into two, leave one roll in the fridge, and roll the other one out on the kitchen table.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (200 C)
- Use a glass to cut out circles from the rolled out dough.
- Put the circles on a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
- Dip a bit of strawberry jam in the middle of each circle.
- Make additional circles, and put the other squares on top of the jam.
- Squeeze the sides of the circles with a fork.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (200 C) for about 15 minutes
- Put on a baking rack to cool
- Once the strawberry cookies have cooled, glaze with the glazing and add sprinkles.
This is my own strawberry cookies recipe, but you can find lots of great recipe for strawberry cookies at allrecipes.com.