I have heard about the SodaStream home soda maker for years, but for some reason, I was hesitant about starting to make my family’s own soda. Then one day I discovered just how the new soda machine in my favorite restaurant worked, and it turned out to be very similar to SodaStream’s method. This new soda machine uses cartridges of soda flavor, which means that the customer can choose between hundreds of flavors, and all of a sudden the SodaStream had a new appeal to me. If the restaurant could do it so easily, and still make the soda taste great, why couldn’t I?
The SodaStream Genesis arrived at our home, and I will admit that I was still intimidated the entire idea about making soda water at home. So the SodaStream home soda maker stayed in the box until I gathered up the courage to finally give it a try. The SodaStream instructions were surprisingly simple with only seven easy and quick steps, and our SodaStream was set up in no time.
How To Use A SodaStream (SodaStream Genesis model)
- Remove the valve seal and cap from the carbonator bottle, and screw the bottle into the SodaStream.
- Place the SodaStream on top of the main SodaStream maker
- Fill the carbonating bottle with water (chill it, if you wish)
- Screw the carbonating bottle with water onto the SodaStream
- Press the carbonating button on top of the SodaStrea home soda maker. Keep giving short presses until you hear the buzzing sound, then wait for three buzzes.
- Unscrew the bottle and fill it with your favorite flavor.
- Gentle mix the SodaStream flavor with the carbonated water.
Check out the How To Use A SodaStream video:
Homemade Soda – The Taste Test:
The kids were amazed. I was amazed. But, but, but, while making carbonated water with the SodaStream was extremely easy, it had still not passed the flavor test. I’ll admit that I am a bit of a soda snob, when it comes to cola flavored soda, because no matter how frugal I am, not all cola flavored sodas taste the same, and not all soda flavored sodas passes my test. This is why I decided to try the cola flavored soda from SodaStream first, and let me tell you, it was a positive surprise.
Not only did the SodaSteam soda taste great, but the SodaStream Cola tastes just like my favorite cola brand. Watching my three-year-old give the SodaStream soda a try was priceless, as his expression was full of amazement. “We made soda”, he exclaimed in a way that only a three-year-old can.
When my oldest boys tried the homemade soda from SodaStream, they were both amazed at how great the soda tasted, and at how much it tasted like their regular favorites. The SodaStream tasting team has definitely hit the jackpot with the flavor combinations, and we have yet to try a flavor that we did not like. I love the SodaStream flavor samples, which came with our SodaStream kit, because this mean we can find out which flavors we like the best, before we have to stock up on new flavors.
The SodaStream Value:
Back-in-the 80s, home soda makers were popular in my community, but my family never gave it a try. The SodaStream is certainly a step up from the early soda makers, and I love how easy it is to buy new flavors, exchange carbonators and get accessories either online or locally. The convenience of using the SodaStream is making owning a home soda maker much more attractive, and while the start-up-cost is more than some families will spend, it certainly is a great alternative to buying, dragging home, storing and then discarding regular soda bottles and cans.
The SodaStream flavors usually cost around $4.99 – $6.99 for a 50 serving flavor bottle. A 12 pack of name brand soda usually cost around $4.99 here in South Florida, so once you take away the actual start-up cost, the home soda making solution with the SodaStream begins to become a value option as well as a green solution. While there are no SodaStream coupons currently available, you can use a $10 off $30 Bed, Bath & Beyond coupon from Recyclebank to lower your cost of SodaStream products and carbonator exchange at Bed, Bath & Beyond.
What I Love About the SodaStream:
- It is easy and quick to set up
- It is easy and simple to use
- It uses regular tap water or filtered water
- I no longer have to store big bulky soda bottles and soda packages.
- There are more than 50 SodaStream flavors
- I can purchase new flavors at several local stores including Walmart, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond
- I can exchange the carbonator at our local Bed Bath & Beyond
- It helps reduce my famiy’s amount of cans to recycle
- It helps reduce waste by eliminating the use of cans and soda bottles.
- SodaStream flavors taste just like our favorite name brand sodas
- There is no high-fructose corn syrup in regular flavors
- There is no aspartame in diet sodas
- The reusable carbonator bottle can fill up 60 liters of soda (15 gallon)
What I Don’t Love About the SodaStream:
- The start-up cost
- Not all SodaStream sellers exchange the carbonators
My family loves the SodaStream so much that I took advantage of a Target clearance sale the other day. I purchased 4 extra bottles of SodaStream flavors, and we now have plenty of SodaStream to last us for a long time.
Buy The SodaStream
You can buy the SodaStream online at the SodaStream website, or at many local stores including Target, Walmart, Kohl’s, Bed, Bath & Beyond and more. You can find a seller near you through the store locator at the SodaStream website.
The SodaStream flavors usually cost around $4.99 – $6.99 for a 50 serving flavor bottle.
Make your own SodaStream discount by using the $10/$30 Bed, Bath and Beyond coupon from Recyclebank (Look under discounts in the rewards section) to save money on your SodaStream purchase at Bed, Bath and Beyond.
SodaStream.com discounts: Right now you get free shipping on any SodaStream soda makers, and if you buy 10 SodaStream flavors you get 1 free.
Win The SodaStream
One of Frugality Is Free’s readers will win a SodaStream Fountain Jet Soda Lover’s Start-Up Kit (ARV $99.95) as a part of the Holiday Gift Guide.
The SodaStream Fountain Jet Soda Lover’s Start-Up Kit includes:
The SodaStream Home Soda Makers are a part of the Holiday Gift Guide here at Frugality Is Free, because it will make a great holiday gift for any soda lover in the family.
This giveaway will end Wednesday November 21st at midnight EST.
Rules addition: Giveaway is only open to US residents in the Continental US.
Disclaimer: The Frugality Is Free family received a complimentary SodaStream and flavors for the purpose of writing a review and hosting a giveaway, no monetary compensation was received. Any opinions expressed above are based solely on our family’s experience with the SodaStream home soda maker and soda flavors from SodaStream.