Today is a cold day in South Florida, and with 61 degrees my boys are shivering. It was just a few days ago that we were having fun at the water park, and playing at the beach, so I am not complaining. Instead, I’ve bundled up the baby, found the long-sleeve shirts for the boys, and I am taking advantage of a cold day by turning it into baking day to heat up the house a bit. With some frugal ingredients, I’ve managed to dish out some delicious banana chocolate cupcakes that satisfies my sons’ sweet teeth while making me happy that the kids are at least getting a dose of vitamin C.
We always buy bananas at ALDI at $0.33 – $0.44/lb, and this week 4 lbs sweet oranges were on sale at ALDI for $1.49. Target has a dozen eggs on sale at $0.99 this week (make sure to get a rain check, if they’re out), and all of our other baking ingredients come from ALDI or great baking sales over the holidays.
Since my brother and his family are here to visit this week, we are going on lots of fun outings, so the cupcakes are easy to bring along wherever we go.
Banana Chocolate Cupcakes:
The banana cake ingredients:
- 3 cups of flour (We used 2 cups of all purpose flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup regular sugar
- 1 cup of butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla sugar
- 2 1/2 cup overripe bananas (We used 6 bananas)
- 1/2 cup of freshly pressed orange juice or regular orange juice
- Orange zest from half an orange
- Bag of chocolate chips (We used a bag of chocolate chips and 1/2 bag of toffee chips)
Banana Cupcake Directions:
- Cream the sugars and butter
- Add the eggs one at a time
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients
- Add the orange juice
- Mash the bananas and stir them in the mixture with a spoon.
- Flour and spray the cooking pan, and add the mixture to the pan. Leave about an inch or two at the top, so it does not overflow when baking.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 degrees F for about 2o – 30 minutes on the middle rack depending on which kind of baking pan you use.
These banana chocolate cupcakes are so sweet and flavorful that no icing is needed. However, if you are in the mood for an extra chocolaty treat, my kids can highly recommend spreading Nutella or any other chocolate spread on top. These banana chocolate cupcakes were based on this banana cake recipe.