Have you ever thought about how buying a holiday dress at full price is a waste of money? I will admit that I certainly think so – why? Because, your precious girl will probably only be able to wear the dress for one year, and if you are especially frugal perhaps two. How many times will she wear the dress? I bet it can be counted on one hand. So what’s the solution? Should you skip the dress?
No! Why in the world, would you skip the dress? As a mom of three boys and a precious little girl, my little girl will have the most beautiful holiday dress that I can find every year, and she might even have more than one. Why? Because, I can find them as low as $3.49, perhaps even free, when I buy them second hand online.
If you know me in real life, you will know that I love to dress up my little girl, and yes Bellamy Blue wears a dress almost every day. If you are a Frugality Is Free reader, you will know that I love buying my little girl dresses, but you will also know that I rarely, if ever pay any more than $3 for a dress. With four kids, I simply cannot afford to buy a dress at full price….ever. I’ll never forget the first time that I went to our local GAP store to look for a pretty dress for my baby girl – $40! Yes I got a sticker shock…. and then I discovered ThredUp! My little girl now has several GAP dresses in her closet, and they are beautiful….but I paid no more than $3.49 for any of her dresses.
How do I do this? I shop online at my favorite online consignment store for kids and women – ThredUp!
Over the past year, I have shopped at ThredUp on many many occasions, and only once have I been disappointed. When I was, I simply sent them an email explaining why, and soon after I had credit back in my account.
As for the dresses, they have never disappointed. See, most little girls probably wear each dress less than 10 times, before she grows out of it. This is why, buying dresses second hand makes so much sense. They are in great shape, mostly in mint condition, and sometimes even new with tags, and you can find them in your favorite brands such as Gymboree, Tommy Hilfiger, The GAP, Oshkosh, Bluberi Boulevard, The Children’s Place, DKNY, Ralph Lauren and such for as low as $3.49 at ThredUp.
Now, if this is you first time shopping at ThredUp, you have two options.
1) Buy a dress for yourself or your little girl for around $10 – use your $10 ThredUp bonus and only pay shipping at $2.99.
2) Buy $50 worth of dresses and clothing for yourself and your kids, use your $10 ThredUp bonus and only pay $40 plus get free shipping (Free shipping on $50 before the $10 bonus)
3) Hot, Hot, Hot: For a very limited time, you can use the ThredUp free shipping code: SHIPSALE10 (Expires Monday 10/28) to get free shipping on orders of $20! This is a very rare coupon code, so take advantage while you can.
Now, don’t wait until November to buy your holiday dress….or winter coat. Buy it now! Before everyone else does, because the closer to the holidays we get, the smaller the selection becomes.
Take a look at my favorite picks for the holidays….
Holiday Dresses for you in the $9.99 – $11.49 range – $10 Bonus – Pay as little as $2.99 shipped!
Brands such as Liz Claiborne, Apt. 9, New York & Co, Forever 21, Banana Republic, J Crew & More….
Holiday Dresses for your daughter in the $10 range – $10 bonus – Only pay $2.99 for shipping!
Brands such as Hanna Anderson, GAP, DKNY, Oshkosh, Amy’s Closet, LL Bean, Speechless, Cyrillus, Goodlad & More
Holiday dresses for your daughter in the $10 – $11.99 range – NEW with tags – $10 Bonus = FREE to $1.99 + $2.99 Shipping!
Brands such as Janie & Jack, Blueberi Boulevard, Gap, Crazy 8, American Living, The Children’s Place & More
Holiday dresses for your daughter for $3.49 each – brands such Oshkosh, Gymboree, Cherokee, Talbots, The Children’s Place, United Colors of Benetton, Gap & More
The above is just a little selection of the myriad of holiday dresses for girls and women available at ThredUp – I have to warn you though, shopping at ThredUp can be addictive, and you can end up spending a lot of time finding the right dress.
How To Shop Smart At ThredUp:
- Sign up for your free $10 ThredUp bonus
- Choose the gender and sizes you want – make sure to check out the ThredUp clearance section
- Choose prices low to high in the top right hand-side and start browsing.
- Check out the new-with-tag section (in the sidebar under “condition”)
- Add everything you like to your cart to reserve the item
- You can always remove it from your cart during your final sorting.
- Buy items such as jeans, jean shorts, dresses, skirts and jackets, which are hard to find at low prices even on clearance.
- Either buy a pair of name brand jeans or a coat for around $10, and only pay for shipping. Or buy $50 worth of clothing, get free shipping, and only pay $40 after the ThredUp bonus.
- Everything ships in 3 – 7 business days.
- Invite your friends and get $10 to shop for, once they make their first ThredUp purchase.
If you think ThredUp might be for you, you can get $10 to shop for, if you sign up through this ThredUp bonus link. If you sign up, you get $10 to shop for, and if you end up shopping I get $10 to shop for as well. It is a win win!
Have you bought yours or your daughter(s)’s holiday dress yet?
Would you buy a holiday dress second hand?
How often does your daughter usually wear her holiday dress, before she grows out of it?
I’m curious? Did you find a holiday dress at ThredUp that you loved?