With the holiday season coming up our family is especially thankful for our family blog as well as our giveaway wins plus our frugal lifestyle, because while many families are struggling to make ends meet, our frugal lifestyle helps ensure a worry-free holiday season.
I start buying holiday gifts (and birthday gifts) in January, and by June all of our gifts for family had been delivered via other family members, who came to visit (which saved us $200+ in shipping costs). Any wins this fall have been bonus gifts, and I have also found a few really good clothing deals for our oldest son, which will be saved for Christmas.
Most of the kids’ holiday clothing were purchased second hand in the summer, when the “winter” clothing was clearance, and buying second-hand clothing online has been a great way for us to save big money.
So, now that the holiday season is upon us, I wanted to make sure to share some of our frugality and fortune with other struggling families. In an area like ours, we do not have to look far, in fact most of our friends and neighbors are struggling.
One way in which we are helping others this year is by buying second-hand holiday dresses at our favorite online consignment store, and today the dresses arrived. We also found a pretty yellow dress for a little girl, whose favorite color is amarillo.
Take a look at what we found:
The prices were a bit higher than usual, since we bought bigger sizes than usual, plus we are buying in season (compared to our regular out-of-season shopping schedule. Usually we stick to $3.49 items, but this time around we splurged a little.
What we bought:
|Gap Kids Summer Dress||$3.99|
|Old Navy Romper 18-24 Mo||$3.99|
|Chaps Capris (New With Tags)||$3.99|
|Gymboree Summer Dress||$4.99|
|OshKosh B’gosh Dress (New With Tags)||$4.99|
|Old Navy Summer Dress||$3.99|
|Baby Gap Summer Dress||$3.49|
|Free Standard Shipping on oders of $50+||$0.00|
|– $50 ThredUp credit = final out of pocket||$2.39|
We have done a lot of shopping at ThredUp this year, and our family has saved a lot of money because of it. Now that we are putting together our oldest son’s middle school wardrobe, we are looking to ThredUp to find the brand names that middle school kids wear without breaking our budget. I have already found Quicksilver sweaters, Levis shorts, Abercombie shirts and such for as little as $3.49 at ThredUp, and so far everything has been in great condition.
How To Shop Smart At ThredUp:
- Sign up for your free $10 ThredUp bonus
- Choose the gender and sizes you want – make sure to check out the ThredUp clearance section
- Choose prices low to high in the top right hand-side and start browsing.
- Check out the new-with-tag section (in the sidebar under “condition”)
- Add everything you like to your cart to reserve the item
- You can always remove it from your cart during your final sorting.
- Buy items such as jeans, jean shorts, dresses, skirts and jackets, which are hard to find at low prices even on clearance.
- Either buy a pair of name brand jeans or a coat for around $10, and only pay for shipping. Or buy $50 worth of clothing, get free shipping, and only pay $40 after the ThredUp bonus.
- Everything ships in 3 – 7 business days.
- Invite your friends and get $10 to shop for, once they make their first ThredUp purchase.
If you think ThredUp might be for you, you can get $10 to shop for, if you sign up through this ThredUp bonus link. If you sign up, you get $10 to shop for, and if you end up shopping I get $10 to shop for as well. It is a win win!
Have you gotten yours and your kids’ holiday dresses yet?