Being a writer is a sedentary job, and I struggle with finding a balance between being active and still being creative. After years of trying to come up with a solution, I have finally found it. A mini exercise bike, also known as a pedal exerciser or a desk bike, is the perfect solution to a busy, sedentary lifestyle or to a desk job.
I already have an upright stationary bike, but it is not being used enough, because I cannot pull myself away from writing and the household chores to get on it long enough to make a difference. And of course there’s the fact that it’s just not comfortable to sit on it for very long, and that it takes up so much space it can only fit in the bedroom.
I spend 2-4 hours at the gym each week, and I do a lot of walking outside, but it is just not enough. The mini exercise bike is the only thing that I have found to make a difference in my sedentary lifestyle as a writer, because with this desk bike I can be active while still use my creativity and get work done.
As a mom of four, multitasking is a must, because lets face it there is simply not enough hours in the day to get everything done. The gym works for me, because it takes me away from all the things on my to-do list, it provides me with childcare, it let’s me get in the high intensity workouts I need, and it’s the only way that I can run, since it has an inside track and outdoor running in South Florida is dangerous. But I cannot spend all my hours at the gym, because there is a life to be lived which includes four kids, and the gym does not pay the bills.
The pedal bike is the perfect solution, because in addition to my regular hours at the gym I can now be active while working. For me the mini exercise bike is a great way to get in daily activity while multitasking. I have the mini exercise bike stored underneath my writing desk, and when I do research, read the news, blog or edit my creative writing I pull it out and use it for 10 – 30 minutes at the time throughout the day and even at night, when I focus on my creative writing after the kids are in bed. After the first week, using the desk bike became a routine, and now I barely even pay attention to it. In fact, I just realized that I’ve been using the pedal exerciser for an hour, while writing this blog post, and I barely even noticed.
I’m the main user of the pedal exerciser at our house, but the kids love using it too, and it is so easy to use that even my two-year-old daughter can use it. She pulls over her small wooden chair, and then she starts biking.
The Pros of a Mini Exercise Bike
- It takes up very little space, and it can be stored under your desk.
- It is so small that it can be used in your office
- It is an affordable exercise machine
- It is lightweight
- It is perfect for multitasking
- You can read, write, use your computer and more all while exercising.
- It gives you the same benefits of a recumbent bike or an upright stationary bike
- You can use whatever chair is best for you, and you can adjust the height if your sitting on an office chair.
- Using a chair with a back makes this a good option for anyone with back problems and other health issues, as it relieves the strain on the rest of your body.
- It is a low impact exercise that can be used by almost anyone.
- Compared to other exercise bikes, there’s really no weight limit, as you can use the chair you regularly use.
- If you struggle with getting exercise into your day, the mini exercise bike will help you stay on track, because you can use it while doing other things.
The Cons of a Mini Exercise Bike
- The calorie counter is not accurate, as you cannot enter your weight. I recommend using an online calculator instead, where you can enter your weight and height.
- It is not a full body exercise compared to a treadmill or elliptical.
There are many different mini exercise bikes to choose between, but the one I have is like the one below, and this one I can highly recommend. It is lightweight, but still sturdy, and it is heavy enough that it stays put.
Pedal Exerciser by Vive – Best Portable Medical Exercise Peddler – Low Impact, Small Exercise Bike for Under Your Office Desk – Designed for Either Hands or Feet – 1 Year Guarantee
List price $139.99
Amazon sale price $79.99 + Free Shipping
4 out of 5 stars
You can find more mini exercise bikes on Amazon here, but as I mentioned above the one I’ve featured is the one I can personally recommend. Prices start at $25, so there’s something in every price range.