Did you notice the Amazon free shipping price increase that happened over the weekend? We sure did! We used to love the $25 free shipping threshold on Amazon, and we could deal with the $35 free shipping threshold, but $49! Of course this new increased free shipping threshold is a way for Amazon to get more Amazon Prime members, where you can get free two-day shipping, which is tempting. But, as a frugal family of six, we still think that there are ways to get around the $49 shipping threshold, it just takes some planning.
Ways To Save On Shipping At Amazon
- Keep an amazon shopping list. Every time you think of something you need from Amazon, write it on your list, and before you know it, you’ll make it past the $49 Amazon free shipping limit.
- You can often get free shipping when you use the subscription option, and you can always cancel the subscription if you change your mind.
- Add at least $25 of books (in which case all other eligible items in the order also ship free)
- Earn Amazon gift cards to shop for. There are many sites,w here you can earn amazon gift cards. In fact, we have not used our credit/debit card on Amazon in many many years, because we only shp when we have a good Amazon gift card balance in our account. See a list of our favorite places to earn Amazon gift cards here.
If you don’t like to plan your Amazon purchases, the Amazon Prime membership has a lot to offer. We are tempted by the Amazon Prime program, but we have yet to make the decision. One thing that could make us make the move is the sky-rocketing cable prices, and we might make the move to Amazon Prime in the next year or so.
Benefits of Amazon Prime
- Get free two-day shipping on millions of products
- Stream thousand of movies and tv shows for free on your devices such as pc, tablet and phone.
- You get unlimited music streaming
- Get early access to lightning deals
- Get more than 800,000 free e books
Get your free Amazon Prime trial here, after which you can purchase a one-year prime membership for $99.
Are you an Amazon Prime member? If so, do you feel it is worth the $99?