As a mom blogger of four, I am often asked about how to make money, so I’ve compiled a list of my favorite ways to make extra money. Whether you are a stay-at-home mom, a single mom or dad, a parent needing to earn a little extra or a student wanting to earn some extra money there are so many ways to make money. My list is not meant to substitute a regular full-time job, but more as one-stop guide for anyone looking to making money from home.
This is an extensive guide, so you might want to bookmark it and come back to read, whenever you have a little time
My Favorite Places To Make Money Online:
- Instant Cash Sweepstakes
- Receipt Hog
Ways To Make Money:
- How To Make Money Blogging
- Earn Gift Cards Online
- Make Money Online
- Make Money On Your Phone
- Make Money Writing
- Make Money Selling Your Photos
- Make Money From Home
- Make Money Through Part-Time Jobs:
- Make Money Selling
Ways To Make Money Online:
How To Make Money Blogging:
Blogging is my favorite way to make extra money, but as with most things in life, making money blogging takes effort, time and dedication.
- Start with a free blog to make sure you can stick to it. We recommend starting with a Blogger blog, because it is easy to start out with and you can make money om the beginning.
- Choose your blog name wisely – it needs to be relevant, descriptive and unique.
- Create social networking pages for your blog
- Sign up for different ad solutions. Start with Google Adsense and Amazon, and then research what opportunities you have through affiliate marketing that you can integrate into your posts.
- Stick to it – the longer you blog the more you earn.
- Blog about what you love – blogging takes a lot of work, and if you don’t love what you’re doing, you;ll get tired off it and give up before you reap the harvest.
- Network – read like-minded blogs, comment and get connections in the blogging world.
- Be a forever student – blogging demands that you always stay open to new ways, and the Internet is forever changing, so you always have to keep up.
- Use the Google Keyword Planner, to find the right title and keywords for your posts.
- Participate in link parties to get your blog out int the blogosphere
- Host giveaways – it is a great way to get more followers and create buzz about your blog.
Ways To Make Money Online By Earning Gift Cards:
As a stay at home mom, one way that I help out our family’s budget is by earning gift cards online, and then stretching them with coupons and clearance. It might not pay the bills, but I save up the gift cards, so that we our clothes and gift shopping is done with gift cars instead of a credit card.
- Swagbucks: This is by far our favorite online earnings site, and after 6+ years as a member we can honestly say that the site has only improved over the years. At Swagbucks you can earn points from searching, taking surveys, watching videos, doing tasks, printing coupons and much much more. We earn at least $25 in gift cards every month.
- Bing: We have been a member of the Bing Rewards program since the beginning, and we earn $10+ a month in gift cards just from searching what we normally would.
- Recyclebank: At Recyclebank you can earn gift cards and coupons by learning about recycling, and if your community participates in the Recyclebank program, you can even earn money from recycling. We earn enough points for a $10 gift card every 2 months or so, and we get a $3/$30 Publix coupon about every week, which is an extra $12 a month.
- Instant Cash Sweepstakes: At Instant Cash Sweepstakes you earn cash, paid to your paypal account, and it is such an easy way to earn a little extra every month. It won’t make you rich, but it all adds up. You can read our detailed ICS guide here.
- Surveys: We’ve done many surveys over the years, and there are many good companies. Still, our time is valuable, and so we’ve abandoned the survey market. The only surveys we do are through Swagbucks (see above), as these actually earns us points quickly and we can use them toward favorite gift cards. In the past we’ve had success with the following companies, as we we’ve been paid several times by each: Send Earnings, Inbox Dollars, Harris Poll Online and Pinecone Research.
Ways To Make Money Online:
- Answer Questions: We’ve earned quite a bit with ChaCha over the years. Once you pass the testing, it is up to you how much you earn. The more time you spend at ChaCha, the more you earn, as you earn based on how many questions you answer. Learn more at www.ChaCha.com.
- Online Juror: These places let you review legal cases and ask for a verdict as a way to get a feel for their cases. Check out www.ejury.com and www.onlineverdict.com for online jury opportunities.
- Website Evaluator: Help search engines evaluate websites and improve their search engines. Look for jobs at www.leapforceathome.com.
- Teach ESL: There are many opportunities to teach English as a second language,and some can even be done from home via video chat. Check out these sites: www.ispeakuspeak.com, www.openenglish.com, www.cambly.com and www.wetutorenglish.com
- Join the Amazon MTurk Program: Work for Amazon through their Mturk program, where you get paid for doing various online tasks.
- Ask Wonder: Sign up to be a researcher for the Ask Wonder program. Simply answer questions submitted by Wonder’s client, and get paid per question answered.
Make Money On Your Phone:
It is quite possible to make money on your phone, and it is a great way to offset your phone bill, since you have the phone already. We’ve earned many gift cards through shopping apps, and it all adds up. Right now our oldest son is saving up money for a kayak by using Swagbucks and Bing on his phone, and he is making quite the progress.
- Best apps to make money: Swagbucks and Bing both have a computer version, and the apps are a great way to make extra points. If you don’t have access to a computer, the apps will still earn you plenty of points toward gift cards.
- Shopping Apps: We love shopping, and making money while we shop is a win win. With these shopping apps, you make money on your phone by scanning items, while you are out shopping: ShopKick App and the Checkpoints App – please use our referral code jrfrugalmom when you sign up at Checkpoints. Easyshift is another shopping app, but this one is more in the shape of a checking availability of products on the shelves, prices etc. and you earn money per shift/task completed.
- Receipt App: Receipt Hog: Download the receipt hog app here on your phone, and enter code: yah54683 to get extra spins at the Hog Slots and earn more rewards. Take photos of your receipt and earn points, which you can redeem for gift cards.
- Rebate Apps: With rebate apps you receive money back from specific items that you’ve already purchased by submitting a photo of your receipt and/or scanning the item. These are our favorite rebate apps: Checkout 51, Ibotta (use our referral code: vpxjjw to get an extra $10 sign up bonus, when you sign up), and SavingStar. Snap by Groupon is similar to Ibotta and SavingstStar, where you take a photo of the receipt,whenever you buy a product that they have featured. Shrink – scan products, share receipts and do activities to earn points and be paid via Paypal. Sign up at Shrink here and use our referral code DNEIHT to get a bonus 1000 Shrink points.
- Video Watching Apps: AppTrailers: You watch previews of mobile apps and other vidoes and earn points that can be redeemed for gift cards. You can sign up for AppTrailers here (Get bonus points for using our referral code unbreakablestep2).
- Survey Apps: Just like with regular surveys, mobile surveys are time consuming, and it is often difficult to reach the payment threshold. This is why we recommend earning with the shopping apps and apps like Swagbucks and Bing as mentioned above instead. Some survey apps we’ve tried are: Opinion Outpost and ipoll.
Make Money Writing:
There are many ways to make money writing, and blogging is a great place to start. Blogging is not the only way though, and I’ve tried to compile a list of places where you can make money writing.
Make Money Selling Your Photos:
- Foap: Foap is an app where you sell photos at $5 per photo. You can download the app via the Apple App stpre or Google Play, and the more photos you upload the greater the chances you have of selling your photos.
- Stock Photo Sites: Sell your photos to stock photo sites. Each site has different rules, requirements and compensations, but it is worth checking them all out to find the right one for you. Free Range, www.shutterstock.com, www.istockphoto.com, www.alamy.com, www.gettyimages.com, www.dreamstime.com, www.us.fotolia.com, and www.instaproofs.com.
Make Money From Home:
- Dog Walking and Dog sitting: Spread the word through friends, family and community boards, and ist your services on certain websites such as www.dogvacay.com and www.rover.com.
- Babysitting – Several of my stay-at-home mom friends earn a little extra by babysitting. Take a look at your week, when do you have extra hours in your day? Spread the word through friends, family and community boards. Good babysitters are always sought after.
- Use Your Skills: Teach what you know. Tutors are always sought after, especially tutors at affordable prices. You can also find tutoring jobs at these sites – look for the jobs or career tabs www.kaplan.com, www.chronicle.com, www.connectionsacademy.com, and www.k12.com.
- Cooking: Outsource your cooking skills to neighbors and seniors in your community. It can be as simple as cooking extra and delivering a meal to a neighbor, who does not cook him or herself, or you can help cook for parties without becoming a full-out caterer.
- Cleaning: Many families would love to outsource their cleaning but cannot afford a regular cleaning service. You can also check with local apartment companies, as these often outsource the leaning whenever a renter moves out. Check the companies in your area, and find the price that it is right for you.
- Call Center and Customer Service Jobs: There are plenty of jobs out there, but be wary of jobs that require you pay out pocket for training. Checkout these sites: www.ratracerebellion.com www.alpineaccess.com, www.acddirect.com, www.sutherlandglobal.com, www.arise.com, www.liveops.com and more.
More Ways To Make Money Through Part-Time Jobs:
- Work at the YMCA – while it is a not a work from home job, several of my friends make extra money by teaching exercise classes at the local Y, some work in the childcare area and some in the reception. These are not full-time jobs, but they help with extra income, and you also get a discount on Y your YMCA membership and fees.
Check out this list of places to find work at home jobs:
Make Money Selling:
Sell your books, DVDs, Music and Electronics: Selling your books is not a big money maker, but if you want to declutter your house there are several ways to do so while making money.
- Amazon Trade In Program: We have made a lot of money selling our books and DVDs through the Amazon Trade In Program . You will not get a lot of money per item, but if you want to declutter your house this is a good option. With the Amazon Trade In Program you enter the code or the title on the trade-in page, then you put all of the accepted items in a box, print out a free shipping label and drop it off at UPS. Once the order arrives, it will checked, and then you will receive an Amazon gift card for your order. We’ve been cleaning out, and we recently sent off about 40 DVDs most of which my husband had received for free years ago, when someone else were moving. All but one item was accepted, and we received a very nice Amazon gift card in return. It was easy, it was simple, no out of pocket expenses, and we cleared our shelves a little. You can also sell electronics such as cell phones, tables, laptops, video games, consoles, books, text books, cameras, MP3 players and more.
- Amazon/Ebay: You can also sell your items directly at Amazon, Ebay or Half.com, but be mindful of fees and the time that you will have to spend on shipping out items.
- Used Book Stores: Do a search for used book stores and music stores in your local area, and you may be able to trade in your books, movies and DVDs for credit or cash.
- Craigslist: Sell your items on Craigslist. Make sure to have a good image to post, and consider bundling your items.
- Yard Sale: Sell your items at a yard sale. Books do not sell well around here, and if they do they better be dirt cheap.
- Tax Write Off: Donate to your library’s used book store and get a tax write off instead.
- Facebook Groups: Look for local buy, sell, trade groups on Facebook.
- Half Price Books: Bring in your books, music, movies,game consoles, e readers and more, and get cash or store credit in return. Read more about the Half Price Books buy program here and find your nearest location.
- Hastings Bookstores: If you have a Hastings bookstore nearby, you can sell your used books, music, dvds and videogames. Read more about the Hastings Buy Back program here.
- 2nd and Charles: Sell your used entertainment to your local 2nd and Charles store. They accept books, audio books, dvds, video games, vinyl, cds, comics, ipads, ipods and ereaders. Read more about the 2nd and Charles buy back program here.
- Bookscouter: Check out www.bookscouter.com. This site will show you offers for up to 40 online booksellers.
- College Bookstore: If you are a college student, check with the college bookstore to see if they buy back textbooks.
- Sell on Craigslist: Whenever we want to sell a bit item, we always start out at Craigslist. It might take us a few tries, but we usually get our items sold, and at a much better price than at a yard sale. Craigslist tips: 1) Take a good photo 2) Write a good description – you can find measurements by Googling the item as new. 3) If it doesn’t sell, make a new post 1 4-5 days later, don’t just renew. 4) For kids clothes, books and toys bundling items can make them sell faster.
- Sell to Local Consignment Stores: The policies usually vary from one consignment store to another, so contact your local store, see what they accept and how they pay.
- Sell Your Clothes to Online Consignment Stores: Don’t expect to get a lot of money this way, but it is easy to sell in prepaid bags. Check out ThredUp (Get $20 to shop for when you sign up) and Swap.com for details. You can also donate your clothes to Schoola and 40% off the profit goes to the school of your choice. Plus get $20 to shop for at Schoola when you sign up here and get free shipping w/ no minimum.
If you found our money making guide helpful, please help us spread the word by sharing it on your social networks.
If you have any more ideas as to how to make extra money, please let us know in the comment section.